Google Tag

Monday, October 21, 2013

My Recent Ride To Work

Z
For reasons too lengthy to explain, Hugo lost the use of his school bus this past week, so I have had the pleasure of biking him in.  Although, things did not start out as any great pleasure.  Biking Hugo into the city meant a change in routine ("I want bus"), which in turn means a couple full-on ragers until Hugo warms up to the idea of something new.  Thankfully in this case, he did. 

For instance today, when we entered Manhattan, I could hear him behind me, counting the cars when we stopped at traffic lights;  his count would always start slow, then get faster as he counted into the teens, and then break off in jibberish numbers after 18 (even though he knows numbers beyond this).

Anyway, the best part of all this for me has been the drop off.  He's immediately greeted with elation by teachers who care for him, and he greets them back, remembering all their names, keeping their identities straight.  He get's into the classroom, puts his coat away and engages in something immediately, today it was Legos.

A sense of ease and peace is not something our son comes by readily.  So to see him so comfortable, engaged, and aware as he starts his day, as I part with him and head to work, fills me with simple yet undefinable happiness.  It's back on the bus tomorrow, though, and I will miss saying goodbye in these moments (if/until another bus issue comes up).


No comments:

Post a Comment