Google Tag

Monday, April 6, 2009

The Ganesh Experiment at Brooklyn Artist Gym


Benign Distraction
Drawing (approx. 20 x 36 inches)
April 2009


As I had posted earlier, I was invited to participate in what was deemed an "art happening" at the Broolyn Artists Gym studio space/venue in Gowanus, Brooklyn. The night started with an hour+ train ride from Astoria to Gowanus on the N train (which I forgot was running local on the weekends cause we rarely ride it past 57th street, so it took next to forever to get there, but I did manage to get set up with plenty of time to spare). I was a bit nervous about all this; I mean most of the time, as an artist, I am doing my work on my own, in my own space. But BAG was cramped with 30 other visual artists-with me being among the squarest one there: tattoos=0, piercings=0, hip-ness=0. And I had to put a piece together in front of on-lookers in very little time (3 hours). Drawing was tough at first as I was trying to steady my hand from the excitement. I had prepared stencils to help pencil in the basic layout of what I would draw. So as the night wore on, I got steadier, but really didn't ease into things until Jennifer, Hugo and friends got there. I am so glad my family was there for me--it meant a lot having them there. Actually, Jen and Hugo stayed the entire night! Which was NO SMALL FEAT as the music provided for this "experiment" was itself "experimental." Mostly it was just sound--a cacophony of loudness that, at times, was so ludicrous it was hard to focus on what I was doing. They called it a "wall of sound," or a "soundscape," but mostly it served to sonically drive the roaches, mice, and vermin away. For that, at least, I am appreciative. To my friends who came to witness, thank you for coming, if the music prevented you from staying, I am so sorry, I had no idea it would be that loud, or bad.

So the piece I completed is above. I called it "Benign Distraction," in honor of the "Ganesh Experiment." In many ways working on this piece was a fun step into an artsy life, at least for a little while. I really enjoyed it. This diptych was created with one side iconic/symbolic and highly articulated, the other side is more expressive and responded more to the sound and environment of the project. As to what everything symbolizes, every detail, I leave that mostly up to viewers, for now, to interpret on their own.

Me, Jen, and Hugo in front of the half-completed drawing.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great show, Evan! And the family just keeps getting cuter every day.

    ReplyDelete